Reading List Second Quarter 2023

 This is a list of all the fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry I've read in April- June 2023. The goal of this is to encourage people to read more and to help me keep track of what I've read if I want to recommend a piece to someone or nominate or vote for works for awards, etc. It will also encourage me to read more.

-Notes on fiction, CNF, and essays included on this list: 

1. Including a work on the list does not reflect if I liked the piece or not. I tried to include all of the fiction and CNF I've read during the time period, regardless of my opinion of the piece.

2. I've starred pieces that that I found particularly memorable. If I did not "star" a story or book, it does not mean I did not enjoy it or thought the writing was bad, it just means that I didn't find it one of the most memorable pieces I read during the time period.

3. I will not "star" an anthology or an issue of a magazine where I had a story appear or if I helped with the project in some notable capacity, even if the overall work was very memorable. 

4. I will not list a whole book or magazine issue unless I read >80% of it.

5. If I found something especially bad about a story or book, I will list it here with a strike through. I hope to do this rarely as I will reserve this only for pieces that I've found push some clearly offensive viewpoint (racism, sexism, etc.) or totally void or creativity, etc. If I simply didn't care for a piece, I will still list it without a strike through.

-For poems, I am only including those I found had something striking or interesting as it would be a little tedious to add every single poem I see on social media 

-Last Quarter I included some long form articles, but I think adding those is a little tedious, so I am probably going to leave them out, going forward.


Short Story Collections, Magazine Issues, Novels, and Long Nonfiction

Ahh! That's What I Call Horror: An Anthology of 90s Horror
Edited by Chelsea Pumpkins

Butts: A Backstory 
Heather Radke

Crom Cruach
Valkyrie Loughcrewe

From the Depths
Edited by Mark Bilsborough [contains one of my stories]

Hexagon Issue 13
Edited by JW Stebner

Meet Me at The Fountain
Alexandra Lange

No Trouble At All*
Edited by Alexis DuBon and Eric Raglin

Tales of Fear Superstition and Doom
Edited by Ann van der Bergh [contains one of my stories]

Short Fiction and Creative Nonfiction

"6 Must-Have Sentient Spellbooks (and How to Find Them)" 
Alexei Collier
6 Must-Have Sentient Spellbooks (and How to Find Them) by Alexei Collier (juliarios.com)

"A Catalogue of Gifts from A Crow"*
Jo Miles
A Catalog of Gifts from a Crow – Apparition Literary Magazine

"A Personal Apocalypse"*
Leon Othenin-Girard
A Personal Apocalypse – Apparition Literary Magazine

"A Song for the Selkies"
Oyedotun Damilola
A Song for the Selkies | Reckoning

"Aegean Fish Pie"
Zoi Athanassiadou
https://www.deathcapandhemlock.com/aegeanpie

"After the Animal Flesh Beings"
Brian Evenson
After the Animal Flesh Beings | Tor.com

"All Good Children Come Out To Play"
Karlo Yeager Rodríguez
All Good Children Come Out to Play » khōréō (khoreomag.com)


"Death Comes for the Sworn Virgins"
AVRA MARGARITI
Strange Horizons - Death Comes for the Sworn Virgins By Avra Margariti

"Duckie's Revenge"
Mar Vincent
Duckie’s Revenge – hyphen punk


"Food Desert"*
Samir Sirk Morató
Food Desert (hearthandcoffin.com)

"Four Birds to Announce the Birth of a Boy"
Sumitra Singam
Four Birds to Announce the Birth of a Boy | by trampset | Jun, 2023 | trampset

"Fox Mother"
Elou Carroll

"Hinoeuma"
Fábio Fernandes
https://interzone.digital/hinoeuma/

"Interlude in Gehenna"
Lamont A. Turner
Interlude In Gehenna - MetaStellar

"Jay Gatsby, Time Traveler"
Elizabeth Bates
https://dailydrunkmag.com/2023/04/30/jay-gatsby-time-traveler/

"Jaywalk The Stars"*
Elad Haber
Jaywalk the Stars - Lightspeed Magazine

"Like Footprints in the Snow"
Shelley Jones
Like Footprints in the Snow | Wyldblood Press

"Nine Dioptres"*
Lyle Hopwood
https://interzone.digital/nine-dioptres/

"Occult Blood"
Zebulon Horse
https://www.ergot.press/

"Our Savior in Steel"
Zacharhy Rosenberg
Savior in Steel (darkmattermagazine.shop)

"Palette"*
J.L. Kiefer
PseudoPod 842: Palette

"Reasons This is not a Horror Story"
Barbara A. Barnett
Current Issue – The Maul (themaulmag.com)

"So You Want to Kiss Your Nemisis"
John Wiswell
So You Want to Kiss Your Nemesis - Lightspeed Magazine

"SUBSIDENCE"
STEVE RASNIC TEM
subsidence — Weird Horror Magazine

"Summer in Samarkand Part II"*
ELIF BATUMAN
Summer in Samarkand, Part II | Issue 9 | n+1 (nplusonemag.com)

"The Case Against Travel"
Agnes Callard
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-weekend-essay/the-case-against-travel
[Jen's note: this wasn't offensive, just felt like a waste of time to read and pointless]

"The King of the Universe Dies Again"*
Kay Vaindal
The King of the Universe Dies Again (darkmattermagazine.shop)

"The Pool Noodle Alien Posse"
M.L. Clark
http://futurefire.net/2023.65/fiction/pool.html

"The Seventy-year-old Corpse Harvester"*
Naomi Eselojor
The Seventy-Year-Old Corpse Harvester (darkmattermagazine.shop)

"They Say the Sky Was Blue Once"
Rebecca Birch
https://www.seizethepress.com/2023/01/19/birch-6/

"This is Not a Story About Chickens"
Judy Darley
The Hooghly Review Issue 1 April 2023 (fliphtml5.com)

"This is What you Came For"
Phong Quan
This Is What You Came For » khōréō (khoreomag.com)

"Through the Roof of the World"
Harry Turtledove
https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/turtledove_05_23/

"To Replace a Broken Heart"
Lyndsey Croal
https://www.seizethepress.com/2023/01/19/croal-6/

"What the Fish Eagle Saw"
Brecht De Poortere
What the Fish Eagle Saw – Barren Magazine

"Wing/Flower"
Endria Isa Richardson
https://apparitionlit.com/wing-flower/

"You Perfect, Broken Thing"
"You Son's Favorite Hannukah Latkes"
Zachary Rosenberg

Poems

"Fungal Invasion"
Shiksha Dheda
The AVBOB Poetry Competition | Blog

"inwhichwearealleventuallyeitherthevictimsorthevictim’sfamily"
Nat Raum
Issues | Moss Puppy Magazine

"Love Letter to the Butcher"
James Ambrose
Love Letter to the Butcher (hearthandcoffin.com)
"Marriage"

Yee Heng Yeh
Marriage – Apparition Literary Magazine
"Pestilential Phantasmagoria"

"Pinion"
Rick Hollon
"Rendezvous with eternity"
Ali Ashhar

"Robobees"
Robert Borski

"Snow Moon in the Year of the Disappearing Forests"
“Robobees” by Robert Borski (kaleidotrope.net)

"Wooly Mammoth"
Alliheis Melton
Issues | Moss Puppy Magazine

"Writing on a Frosty Morning"
Daithi Kearney
“When Ruth invented the Empathy Pill”
Gwynne Garfinkle
“when Ruth invented the Empathy Pill” by Gwynne Garfinkle (kaleidotrope.net)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Author Page!